Project supported by the
Campaign against under-representation in the 2020 elections
The purpose of this project is to raise awareness in Brazilian society regarding the under-representation of women, Afro-descendants, quilombolas, indigenous peoples, youth and the LGBTIQ+ community in elected public offices during the 2020 election process.
The under-representation of a majority of the population in spaces of power not only impedes their rights from being realized but also restricts social control and citizen participation. Thus, it is necessary to broaden the debate on political under-representation – on candidates that are less likely to be elected due to racism, sexism, religious discrimination and/or a lack of sufficient campaign resources.
- Expansion of the debate on and awareness of under-representation in Brazilian society.
- Expansion of the debate on mechanisms for improving representative democracy in Brazilian society.
- Expansion of the debate on political violence, disinformation and the security of social groups facing discrimination.
- Expansion of engagement on social networks and the Plataforma dos Movimentos Sociais pela Reforma do Sistema Político.
- Expansion of membership amongst organizations and collectives in the Plataforma dos Movimentos Sociais pela Reforma do Sistema Político.
Visit the Plataforma
19 participating organizations
• Plataforma dos Movimentos Sociais pela Reforma do Sistema Político
• Odara – Instituto de Mulher Negra
• Movimento Nacional de Combate à Corrupção Eleitoral – MCCE
• Associação Brasileira de ONGs – Abong
• Conselho Nacional de Igrejas Cristãs do Brasil – CONIC
• Rede Afro LGBT
• Fórum Permanente de Igualdade Racial
• Coletivo Cordel
• Iser Assessoria
• Fórum da Amazônia Oriental – FAOR
• Central de Movimentos Populares – CMP Rio de Janeiro
• Fórum Brasileiro de Economia Solidária – FBES
• Articulação Nacional de Jovens Negras Feministas – ANJF
• SOS Corpo
• Pastoral da Juventude do Meio Popular
• Centro Nacional de Africanidade e Resistência Afro-Brasileira – CENARAB
• Articulação Justiça e Direitos Humanos- JusDH